Tuesday, November 06, 2007

A Weekend In Omaha



Before we get started, let me ask this: Why hasn't anyone told me my hair looked like that?


Painful!


Saturday morning I woke up nice and early to get to Omaha for the birthday happenings (Jordan and Binx have birthdays side-by-side). I hate waking up to an alarm on a Saturday morning, and the good news is I woke up just before my alarm was to go off.


When I went out to the car, it looked like the front driver-side tire was low, but it always looks like that. However, it felt a little pull-to-the-left-y, so I stopped at QT and checked it out on a flat surface (which my driveway SO is not).


It was low, so I put some air in it, hoping there was just some little one-time thing happening here, and all would be well.


Yeah, seriously, I do that hoping thing a lot. I'm an optimist like that.


I went over to the church (I was going to leave my car at the church as I needed to be at the church on Sunday morning, and it made more sense for Ruth to just drop me off at the church when we got back instead of taking me to my home and then having me drive back to the church--plus, this meant sleeping in a little longer on Sunday in Omaha) thinking I could help get things set up for the breakfast they were having, but everything was already set up (and it wasn't 7:30 yet!).


So, I eventually went back out to my car to wait for Ruth.


We got to Omaha around 11:00, and while Ruth took a nap, Leslie, Jordan, and I played "Imaginiff..." which is this board game I have had for a while and have always known would be fun, but have never gotten to play (note to self: get life together and start having a game night a couple of times a month with friends). It was enough fun to bring Ruth back into the living room.


Say arrived and Binx arrived and some of Jordan's friends (and co-slumber-partiers) arrived and soon Leslie and I took the 7th grade set to pick up the rest of the crowd and head for the mall (part of Jordan's party was to go to the mall and walk around without her mom RIGHT THERE the whole time... Leslie and I hung out in the food court with cell phones at the ready).


When we got back to the house, the girls went up to the "Slumber Party Room" while Ruth, Leslie, Say, and I played "Imaginiff..." again. We played it a couple of times, actually. It's a great game if you like to laugh a lot.


Anyway, Binx was getting fussy and still not wanting to be near me (because since Carrie's wedding he's forgotten what a fun guy I am, you see), and he wouldn't stay still for anyone who held him, and he wouldn't stay where he was supposed to when they set him down.


So I finally just reached down and picked him up. It's unfortunate we didn't get a picture of him. He was as still as could be. After a bit Leslie noticed he looked tired, so I started singing. This always works, because at this young age they don't want to injure themselves to make themselves deaf, so the only escape from my singing is slumber.


Once he was out, Ruth snapped that picture where my hair is doing that thing.


Anyway, it was a fun time. The girls got to do crazy crafts and played "Imaginiff..." upstairs, we pranked Jordan with a phone call, and a good time was had by all.


Of course, here it is the "fall back" weekend, and I am once again doing something that doesn't allow me to just enjoy the extra hour--but I've decided that's just my way.


When I got to the church, my tire was indeed flat. I got to check out my new tire-changing stuff, and John Campbell (not to be confused with his son, John Campbell) did most of the work... which was funny, because I spent most of church thinking I would wait until everyone left because I wasn't sure I wanted anyone to see my insane reaction to yet another flat tire.


It wasn't so insane anyway, so no big.


I went home and got laundry done, then got to see Ben, Tricia, and the girls and have a good Sunday Dinner with them. Great times!


Anyway, that was my fun weekend. Why don't some of you commenters tell me about your weekend? And maybe suggest another poll topic...

No comments: