Thursday, June 29, 2023

Remembering Say #2 (Help Me, Mark...)


Today I'll share the fact I have very few (if any) memories of my sister living with us.

That's a memory, right?

She was over 15 1/2 when I was born. When I was almost 18 months old, my younger brother was born. I don't know if Mom was in the hospital an extra amount of time or what, but Say looked after me a lot when I was little, and possibly even more while Mom was off getting my younger brother from the stork.

I'm not sure, but I have always imagined the "Where Say go?" incident took place the day mom returned from the hospital. Like I said, that could just be my brain deciding things.

I know we spent a lot of time together, at any rate.

I have been sloshing through the deep recesses of my memory, and the only memory I can salvage that I think was possibly while she was living at home was the time it was just us at the house and I heard her faintly calling out, "Mark, help me..."

I remember going into the bedroom I thought her voice was coming from, but she wasn't there. I remember my distress rising as I went around the house, with her still calling out in a quiet and high-pitched voice, "Mark, help me..."

I eventually went back into the bedroom I first investigated, and finally realized she had opened the door to that room and the door to the closet in that room (they met if you opened them at the same time/rate) and was hiding behind them playing a trick on me.

I remember being happy I found her and she was okay. I sorta understood she was playing with me... but part of me wasn't well pleased about the whole deal.

Anyway, it's possible this was after she was married, maybe after she had her first daughter, Leslie. But it could have just as easily been while she was living at home with us still.

Add to the things to wish I'd asked her while she was still here: Remember that? When was that?

Love you, Say... even though that was a mean trick to pull on me! 

No comments: