Friday, June 30, 2023

Remembering Say #3 (Up, Table)

 


Another story where my sister decided to scare me (and a few siblings)... I swear this won't be a theme.

I couldn't tell you how old I was, but I know where Say and her family were living at the time, so that helps me place it. She was married to (or about to marry) her 2nd husband, and I'm positive this was before Say and family moved to Oregon. So that's how old I was. Which tells you nothing. Maybe 10 or so, at a guess.

Anyway, I couldn't tell you the other adults involved. I want to say Mom and maybe an aunt. Lois, maybe? Or maybe it was two other people entirely.

All I know is a couple/few of my siblings and I were over at their house, and the three adults decided to play "Up, Table" (and if you don't know, that's like a seance thing where the table "somehow" tips up and will bang once for "Yes" and twice for "No" as the spirits answer questions).

So they put their hands on the edge at one side of the card table and started chanting, "Up, table..." over and over. Of course the table tilted--not due to any pressure applied by the adults, of course.

They started asking questions, establishing it was a spirit talking to them. Then they started asking if something bad was going to happen to each of us kids. Of course, "Yes," every time. We were all screaming and carrying on, but honestly more in a "fun" way than not.

It's an odd memory to share, I know, as there's not a lot to it. But it's one that has popped up repeatedly in the month ago since Say passed away, so I wanted to share.

Love you, Say! (Up, table.. up, table... up, table... up, table...)

No comments: