Thursday, November 17, 2005

The Quest for a Ladder

I'm trying to pre-plan my holiday lighting, which mostly revolves around finding a ladder so I can put my big lights on the roof of the porch.

Last year I borrowed one from Ben & Tricia that was left at their house by the people who re-did their deck. But those people eventually came and got their ladder, so that won't work.

Bowman has a ladder, but and it's a matter of scheduling when he can come over for me to use it. That's no big, but I probably should just invest in one.

But then I think, "You're going to invest in a ladder that you'd use basically once a year?" (Taking down the lights actually doesn't involve a ladder, you see.)

And then there's the whole issue of how to have the lights on AFTER Thanksgiving, but before I come home from Center (where the big Thanksgiving Bash is this year), as I'll probably be going to Center on Wednesday and returning Friday or so. I guess I could just arrive during the day on Friday... but it's such a cool Christmas thing to arrive home at night with the lights greeting me.

Yes, these are the major issues of my life. How do I make it from day to day? Really, it's my faith. My faith in pain medication and sleep.

Well, if you live near me and have a ladder, give me a shout. Maybe I can save Bowman a trip.

3 comments:

Peggy Wooden said...

We have one of those big aluminum ladders that extends to twenty feet or so. But I don't think we live near enough to you to share--sorry.

Funny story about the ladder... our big barn got struck by lightning and burned to the ground a couple of years ago, and we had to make a list of things that were stored in it--Rick's tractor, lumber, chainsaw, hay elevator, and a bunch of other stuff. Among the "missing" items was our aluminum ladder, so we included it in the list and got paid for it along with all the other stuff covered on our insurance policy.

Then, about a year later, our son Brandon said, "Oh, by the way, I've still got that ladder I borrowed from you last year!" Oops. We never did tell the insurance folks.

We just put lights up inside, which doesn't require more than a step ladder. We use the big ladder for cleaning out the chimneys.

Andy B. said...

How does taking down the lights not involve a ladder? Do you just yank? Methinks that may not be healthy for lights nor gutters!

EyeRytStuf said...

I use those clippy-things on my roof (not the gutters, though), and the lights pop out super-easy. I'm surprised a strong wind doesn't knock them out over the course of the six or seven weeks they're up.