Saturday, July 19, 2008

Putting Patsy To Rest

Dane's surprise party was today. A good time was had by all. Dane was surprised, but admitted to thinking there was something hinky about this trip "back home", but figured the birthday party part was going to be after church tomorrow.

Instead, they're having a carry-in after church tomorrow for him.

After the party, we took Mom's ashes around to the sites she may or may not have designated. There's some debate, as she wasn't all let-me-write-this-down-y about it.

So she's behind the spot where the old Post Office was, she's at home on the old ball diamond, and she's by a tree at the old farm.

Five of the eight of her kids were able to make it. Two of her grandkids made it, (and her granddaughter was actually excited to get to spread ashes--which makes me think she might have a little bit of Patsy about her... I mean in her personality, not on her hands until she gives them a good washing.

A few months after Mom died, my aunt Lois died, and I talked about a picture we used to have of Mom and her siblings when they were kids. I finally found it. If you want to go back to January/February/...maybe March/April, even... of 2006, you can read what I actually said about this photo, re: the afterlife.



The two young girls in the front row, from left to right, are my aunt Lois and my aunt Rachel. The three in the back (also left to right) are my mom, Uncle Bud (pronounced "bood"), and my aunt Deana Mae. As I mentioned before, I never met Uncle Bud. He died at Iwo Jima when my mom was in high school.

I don't remember who the two folks in the background are. I may have been told more than once, but I can't remember the names. That tear in the fabric of space is probably a tear in the original photo that was scanned many moons ago when "come scan your picture at our store" technology first started crawling out of the primordial techno-ooze.

Anyway, there's the picture.

Hope everyone is having a good weekend. I'm going to read for a while, then fall into a solid sleep and see what dreams this day inspires.

1 comment:

Andy B. said...

Hey - glad to be checking in again. What's with this "just the facts" thing? What was in your head/heart when this was happening? Your public wants to know.