Monday, December 30, 2019

Banana and Banana and Banana and Orange


Banana
And Banana
And Banana
And Orange
Came over to my house one day.
After each double-knock there was a moment of silence before I shouted, “Please go away.
“I’m going through some stuff and if I’m perfectly honest I’m too tired to pretend I’m okay.”
So Banana
And Banana
And Banana
And Orange
Each politely left without a delay.

Banana
And Banana
And Banana
And Orange
Each came back again the day after that.
After each double-knock there was a moment of silence while each stood upon my “UNWELCOME” mat.
I said, “I’m still too anxious and I’m stressing like crazy at the notion of us having a chat.”
So Banana
And Banana
And Banana
And Orange
Each politely left with nary a spat.

Banana
And Banana
And Banana
And Orange
Kept deciding they would give me a try.
After each double-knock and each new rejection they’d come back again, and I wondered why.
I felt so unfriendly—couldn’t fathom the notion that they’d notice if I’d live or I’d die.
But Banana
And Banana
And Banana
And Orange
Each politely left each time with, "Good-bye."

Banana
And Banana
And Banana
And Orange
Wouldn’t give up, and it made me so mad.
After each double-knock I’d tell myself I was angry (but was really just compounding my sad).
They called me their friend, but from where I was standing, I was acres and acres of bad.
But Banana
And Banana
And Banana
And Orange
Each returned (and I was secretly glad).

1 comment:

PA Merritt said...

um, can I wish you happy birthday here?
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!11!!