Sunday, June 13, 2004

I just saw the new Harry Potter movie and it reminded me... someone should make a movie out of the third book...

Okay, what a load of crap that movie was!

I mean, maybe it was okay if you've never read any of the books. I wouldn't know. But Tricia was trying to like it and she said she failed.

Okay, I'll start with the robes: My favorite "robeless" moment was when they went to Hogsmeade for the first time... I leaned over to Tricia and said, "Yeah, lets all wear our Muggle clothes to go visit a WIZARD VILLAGE!"

And what are the wizards wearing instead of actual robes? Apparently some clothes they stole from a production of some Dickens story. I understand why that choice was made, of course, because Dickens wrote so many stories about wizards, except he didn't.

And I understand you must take things out of a huge book like that when dumbing it down for the American audience, but don't you think the actual PLOT needs to be included... they barely touched on the betrayal of Harry's parents, and didn't even explain HOW they were betrayed, and how everyone was so sure who did the betraying. And then there was no explanation whatsoever of why Sirius, Pettigrew, and Potter became Animagi. And they aren't given credit for the Marauder's Map.

And did the screenwriter's copy of the book get dropped in a blender? Did he have to tape it back together?

And if you have that much money for special effects, that's the best you can do with the Patronus (which, by the way, isn't just a shield... but apparently... ugh, I can't even continue with that particular part of this rant).

Suffice it to say, I think I am done witht he Harry Potter movies. The good news is they can't touch what's in my head.

Oh, wait, I forgot... the whole scene with Harry crying in the woods and Hermione coming to comfort him... what was that?

And I like how they just ignore character traits... Harry steals candy from Neville? I ask again... Harry Potter STEALS candy from the non-evil Neville?

If you haven't gone to see it... well, first, sorry to ruin bits for you. Secondly, save your money! Read the book and enjoy the movie your own mind makes. It's always safe to say that will beat the actual movie any day of the week. I'm talking ANY movie, here, not just this sorry excuse for one.

Rant over.

No comments: