Saturday, September 08, 2007

Finally, That Poem

ODE TO THAT FEELING OF MY FEET LEAVING MY WORK SHOES AND GOING INTO MY SANDALS

How can I do justice to the feeling of bliss
Inspired by the simple act of stepping out
Of shoes (whose painful nature others might dismiss)
Into sandals? I suppose I could simply shout
From the nearest mountain top, or perhaps a hill,
But the words I'd shout escape me. It's late, as well.
This peacefulness accompanied by no small thrill
Is not unlike, after twenty-five years of Hell
Finding, right beside you, where it's been all along
The tallest, coolest glass of water, just for you.
And, as you slowly drink it down, you hear a song
Played in your head say, "Through these years you always knew
That right beside you, waiting for your open eyes
Was peace, and joy, and love. But you kept your head turned,
Letting what you couldn't help work toward your demise.
I've been waiting here, while inside you this fire burned.
But now, you see. And, home at last, you find relief.
And now, you see that darkest night has led to dawn.
And now, you know that all along you had belief
That all would be well when you had your sandals on."

Copyright 2007, Mark Travis Riggs

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like the poem - a lot.

Here is a haiku I wrote in 1988...

Shoes
I wore them today.
They were painful to the soul.
Tomorrow, I'm free.

Good to see you back in the blogosphere.

Andy B. said...

And God said to Moses, "Take off your sandals, for the place where you are standing is holy ground."

Just a little scripture quote to brighten your day!