Thursday, February 18, 2010

Insider Information

I'm gonna let you in on a little secret: From the insider perspective, the school year is almost over.

Oh, it seems like there's lots of time, I know, but the second semester--traditionally the longer of the two semesters in the district in which I work--is like that one thingy at the Winter Olympics where you ride in a sled real fast down what looks like a frozen water slide.

Oops, my lack of interest in the Olympics is showing...

But it is, no lie. About the time you get your classes back into the swing of things, it's time for the mid-quarter progress reports, which means Spring Break is just few weeks away, and after that it's a couple of weeks to MAP testing, and after that the days just roll by.

Now is about the time my inner panic starts to rear its ugly head. "Where did all the time go," I wonder. "How can I get these kids prepared for the MAP test, eighth grade, high school, and life? I only have so much time!"

No worries, however, my inner "shut up and sit down, panic" kicked in at least a couple of years back.

The up side is this year I feel less like I'm just running triage than any other year. That's a good thing. I feel like things have gotten to a good place where I can get some people caught up. I'm probably deluding myself, but it's a nice feeling, anyway.

So, yes, it's still Winter. Yes, the end of May is so far away.

But it's not.

2 comments:

Robin said...

I doubt you're deluding yourself. You're probably just getting better. I do believe that the longer you do something you do actually improve. Who knew?

Point Dexter said...

I could never catch up either. It always seems like you're either still recovering from break or getting ready for summer vacation. Haha.

Good luck with classes!