Wednesday, February 23, 2011

I Really Love to Teach

No irony intended in that title. I enjoy teaching. I enjoy finding new ways to reach students. I love thinking of ways to help students. I become frustrated with myself when students aren't "getting it" (although I still spend a few moments being frustrated with them, I should admit). I really do love to teach.

This summit I'm at is giving me all sorts of great ideas--and it seems to be saying a lot of things I've "felt" all along, but they're backing it up with actual research.

I really stink at sifting through research, I should say.

Anyway, I'm excited, and I have all these ideas, and I wish I could start work on some of my ideas tomorrow. I can't. But I want to.

If 80-and-out stays in place, this semester is the first semester of the last half of my teaching career (assuming I leave at the end of the school year I become eligible to leave... which I plan to do, because I love to teach, but the b.s. is just too much most days). So I may be halfway through. That seems odd.

But I want to make this last half way better than the first half--I mean I want to be a better teacher. I want to help more kids find success is math (or whatever I teach in the next 12.5 years).

All this to say I'm excited about this summit. Maybe it'll all blow up in my face and I'll be all resentful that I was ever excited about it, but right now, I'm hopeful.

So let me have this, people.

1 comment:

toppogigio said...

Mark, I am so glad that you are finding some inspiration and joy in your work and in the conference you are attending. Doesn't it feel good to have that infusion of energy as well as a validation of things you've thought over the years?

If you truly love what you do, you cannot help but make a difference in the lives of your students. They will know that Mr. Riggs is not only a great teacher, but also a pretty cool guy to know...one who cares about them, one who goes the extra mile. They will remember you.

My very best wishes to you as you embark on the adventure that will be "the second act" of your career! Yeah, the paperwork and the other administrivia may pile up and make you crazy at times, but if you can keep it in its place, you have it made... Enjoy!