Monday, February 14, 2011

The World Belongs...

So here's a funny Terry Pratchett quote:

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who, when presented with a glass that is exactly half full, say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!"
--from The Truth

I share it because it's been on my mind lately. Not in any deep way or anything. It just makes me laugh, because it's just so true--or at least is true in my mind.

Valentine's Day is here (and almost over). It's no big. It makes teaching fun, because what we lack in the school day is too much manufactured drama, and this day fills that void.

I'd think this day would be useful only if it got you off the hook for the other 364 days where you didn't tell your sweetie how sweet and great and wonderful they are. I mean, beyond giving a reason to raise expectations, what's the point, really?

I should think if you're in love, every day is a big deal, and you don't need this day to be all like, "P.S., I love you."

Anyway, the world doesn't belong to me. I'm not sure what my glass is, but it's not the one described in that quote.

So I have nothing to report except I love a lot of people, a lot of people love me, and I'm better off than I have any right to be.

That, I can love.

No comments: