Sunday, January 09, 2011

Brother (Or Sister), Can You Spare Some Time?

We know that silence equals consent when atrocities are committed against innocent men, women and children. We know that indifference equals complicity when bigotry, hatred and intolerance are allowed to take root. And we know that education and hope are the most effective ways to combat ignorance and despair.

 
--U.S. Rep. Gabrielle Giffords  
Speaking of education and hope (with emphasis on the hope part), if you should want to do something for a kid like be a mentor or be there for them, here are some links:
I may or may not have said it before on here, but whenever I hear about one of these shootings like the one today in Arizona or the one earlier in the week in Nebraska, it makes me think we're not doing enough to be there for people as they're growing up. Any time I try to talk or write about this, I become way too aware of how "not good" I am at words. I want to say too many things that either are contradictory or seem very contradictory.

So I'll just say: if you have any time--a couple of hours a week, even--to be there for a kid who needs someone to be there, please do so. You have no idea the need there is for you... or, if you're paying attention even a little, you probably have a very good idea.

4 comments:

toppogigio said...

Thank you, Mark...thank you, thank you, thank you!!

Judy said...

As a survivor of violence of this type, I can say what these communities (those directly affected and those supporting them) need more than anything is prayer and practical help in the form of trauma counseling (including the family of the man who did this).

Opinions, politicians shouting about gun laws (or really shouting anything at all), well-meaning theories about what could have been done to prevent it, all simply confuse the recovery process and do not help during the days and weeks that follow a tragedy like this.

Too often people think there has to be an answer given because that makes people feel better as they grapple for tragedy to make sense...it's the Why? factor.

No answers in this comment either, just weeping with those who weep and grieving with those who grieve.

All that said, I agree with you that kids need a caring community (we all do) it starts with the decision to live focused outwardly rather than inwardly.

EyeRytStuf said...

Thanks, toppogigio!

Judy, I was wondering what your thoughts were about this sort of situation, but didn't want to just out and out ask you, as I'm sure you get that enough.

I wanted to write something, and no matter what I thought to write, it just seemed like exactly what you described: trying to find answers is like stirring a big pot, where answers become questions become answers that seem to contradict the previous ones, and then on again.

So, like I said, any more I just think: Everybody go mentor somebody. Several somebodies, if you can. I have no illusion it will keep this from happening ever again, but it's a need, and it can make a difference in a person's life!

Thanks for your comment!

Anonymous said...

Ask anytime; anything to help other understand or help someone else. :)