Sunday, January 02, 2011

The Twelve Traditions of My Christmases, Day 9

Today's tradition: The book as a gift.

This is actually a gift tradition with me, not just a holiday tradition. However, my sister posted a picture of me reading Binx's book to him at the family gathering, and mentioned it was a tradition, and that made me realized the book-giving thing is a tradition, as well.

It started with Jordan, I think (and I know she wishes it would end with her sometimes). I wasn't teaching when Jordan was born, but I knew the love of reading wasn't something I was just born with. I had to see people reading, and had to be encouraged to read at some point. For me it was Dr. Seuss.

Dr. Seuss gave me a love of reading, a love of writing, and a love of rhyming.

We are a bunch of readers, for sure. And I figured the best way to help Jordan in that direction was to always give her books.

Now, there have been times where she got something else besides a book, but usually a book was always part of the gift.

Now, every kid I buy for knows it's almost always going to be a book. And now that I've done it two years in a row, it's a tradition that I read to Binx from the book I got him for Christmas at the family gathering!

No comments: