Thursday, January 21, 2010

Under Mind

Most importantly, there's a poll over there to the right of what passes for the blogishness on this page... and my favorite choice isn't winning. So work on it, people!

Today was one of those school days where you can just feel yourself losing the battle. It's so easy on days like this to just want to throw up your hands and walk away. There are so many kids who have already thrown up their hands and walked away, others who are on the verge but are still hanging on, hoping someone clears things up soon, and still others who are wondering what all this hand-throwing-up is all about, and why can't we just get on with the learning.

It is very wearying in work and work to try to get kids caught up to where they should have been about 20 months ago (or more), and have them not have any interest in getting there. You can say it's not my problem, but there's a NCLB that says otherwise... and says every child will be there by... some year or another. December of 2012, I think.

Anyway, not a good day for the teacher in me. I'm seriously feeling I should just wave goodbye to the ones who have walked away, do my best to pull the kids who are still hanging on along with me, and tell the others it's time to move forward... and as right as that sounds, it doesn't feel right. I seriously feel like there's so much work to be done, and there's so little of it I can do.

In other news, I went over to Jason's last night, which was a good time. I need to get over to Heather's soon (maybe this weekend--maybe she'll read this and send me an e-mail about what a great idea my coming over on Saturday would be), and Lyndsey's (which is a scheduling nightmare, a sentiment she'd agree with if she read this, I think).

Most of all, I just need to DO SOMETHING.

I don't know if I mentioned it on Sunday, but even though I loathe the idea of leaving my house and I loathe the idea of being away from home for very long, I really enjoyed my day away from home on Sunday. I'm the same way about stand-up comedians. I loathe the idea, enjoy the experience. Does that mean I'm crazy?

Or, rather, crazier...

No matter. Tomorrow is Friday, and that's a good thing.

No comments: